Tuesday, May 11, 2010

My journey so far...

Let me catch you all up on my mission so far...


It all started at the beginning of this year. My mom had mentioned something about our insurance company covering a gastric banding surgery because of some 'comorbities' I had (PCOS, anxiety, etc.). She said we should go online to look for a surgeon a friend at work had told her about. The surgeon was having a seminar in Muskogee about the different surgeries he performs and we decided to go.

THE SEMINAR.........

Mom met me in Muskogee on a warm spring day in March at the new hospital there. I couldn't help but notice that I was one of the smallest and youngest potential patient. Then we met Dr. Luis Gorospe, one of the best bariatric surgeons in the world.

As Dr. G began to talk, I became more and more nervous. I started to panic and Mom could tell. I held onto her arm for most of the seminar.

After the seminar, we ate at Chili's and talked everything over. Mom almost cried and said she would sell a kidney for me to have the surgery. We decided to go ahead and make an intake appointment.

THE INTAKE APPOINTMENT.........

Mom went with me to my intake appointment. I had to fill out a booklet of information and the receptionist took my 'before' picture. We went to the patient room and after they took my pulse and blood pressure, Mom and I waited patiently for Dr. G.

He walked in with a big smile and introduced himself. He was so encouraging and helpful. He told me that women my age are his favorite patients because we still have our lives ahead of us. He told me that he wants me to be one of his models in his support group's "Spring Fling" fashion show where everyone dresses up in formal wear. I left beaming with excitement. A few days later, the receptionist at Dr. G's office called to schedule an appointment for my psych eval.

THE PYSCHOLOGIST.........

My psychologist, Dr. Nicholas, is a very sweet (almost sugary) lady. She told me everything I needed to know about the behavioral side of the surgery. She taught me some coping techniques for anxiety (which I already know from my experience with panic attacks). I have to back to see her twice after the surgery. Now it was time for the sleep studies.

THE SLEEP STUDIES.........

I showed up at the sleep therapy office where I met Tiffany, my amazing sleep tech. She made me laugh and gave me all the information I needed. She hooked me up with about 16 electrodes to my head, a few stickers on my chest, two stickers on each leg, straps across my chest, and a tube going into my nose. Surprisingly I slept soundly. The doctor found that I had minor sleep apnea so I had to have another sleep study. More electrodes and stickers, plus a CPAP machine. I didn't sleep much, but I sleep better than ever with the CPAP machine. A few weeks later, I recieved my own CPAP machine, and ever since I've been sleeping soundly and deeply.

_________________

And that's not the end of all the doctor's appointments. I still have several more to go. I'll keep everyone posted.

Plus I found a good song to psych myself up: "Bat Outta Hell" by Meatloaf.

No comments:

Post a Comment