Thursday, May 13, 2010

Why is my wrist blue?

So today was by far the busiest day of my journey so far. First I had to get up around 6:30 this morning to drive to Muskogee again for my stress test with the cardiologist. All I did was walk on a treadmill for about ten minutes. They checked my blood pressure about every two minutes and I reached the heart rate I was expected to. Everything went well. The nurse told me I was one of the best patients they had seen in a long time; that made me feel great. Then I drove to Tulsa to see the pulmonologist. I had a bunch of extra time so I went home to see my kitties and take a short nap. I went over to Hillcrest and did a bunch of weird breathing test in the pulmonary lab. Then they took me downstairs to get my '"arterial blood gases" tested. Apparently that means they draw blood from an artery to test the oxygen levels. I assumed that I was just going to get blood drawn like at Dr. Wooster's (my family doc) so I wasn't worried. Then the nurse pulled out a huge needle and told me that it was really going to hurt. Then she pushed the needle into an artery on my wrist. It hurt sooooooo bad! I had to grit my teeth and clench my fists to keep from crying.....and I never cry at the doctor's (at least not since I was a kid)! Now my wrist is really sore and a sort of bluish purple color and it's getting worse. But it's all gonna be worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment